There are some food combination that, I believe, were made in heaven. Coconut and prawn is one such divine food combination that can melt even the toughest heart. There are many recipes that combine these two ingredients to create culinary magic. However, the coconut prawn curry that I am about to describe is unlike anything you have tasted every before.
In Bengali cuisine, coconut and prawns steal the limelight in many dishes such as chingri malai curry and daab chingri. However, my favourite coconut prawn curry is one that uses desiccated coconut instead of coconut milk. It gives the curry a unique texture that just lights up your taste buds.
The best part about this coconut prawn curry is that you can whip it up in a jiffy. It is perfect for those occasions when you have to host a house party, but don’t really have the time to put together an elaborate meal. You can prepare this coconut prawn curry in less than an hour and surprise you house guests with your impeccable culinary skills.
Here is the easy coconut prawn curry recipe for you:
- Medium-sized prawns, 500 gm (cleaned and deviened)
- Medium-sized onions, 2 pcs (chopped)
- Small tomato, 1 pc (chopped)
- Green chilies, 4-5 pcs
- Coconut, 1 pc (desiccated)
- Garam masala whole spice, 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder, 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder, 1 tsp
- Cumin powder, 2 tsp
- Coriander powder, 2 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Mustard oil, 3-4 tbsp
- Marinate the prawns with a pinch of turmeric and salt. Set aside for at least half an hour.
- Heat 2 tbsp mustard oil in a wok.
- Add the prawns when smoke starts to rise. Cook the prawns for a minute on each side. Don’t overcook. Otherwise the prawns will turn chewy.
- Remove the prawns and set aside.
- Add some more mustard oil in the wok.
- Next, add the garam masala whole spice and temper it for a minute.
- Add the onions and fry until golden brown. Add the powdered spices and mix well.
- Throw in the tomatoes and cook until the mixture turns mushy.
- Add the green chilies and stir for a couple of minutes.
- It is now time to add the coconut. Stir and mix well with the onions and tomatoes. Cook the mixture for 3-4 minutes.
- Gently add a cup of water and stir in the prawns. Add salt.
- Cover the lid and cook on low heat until you get smooth curry.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.