There is something so comforting about a bowl of piping hot fried rice. It is nutritious, filling and lip-smacking – all at the same time. The best part is that it barely takes any time to make a generous helping of fried rice. This makes it the ideal choice for a busy work day when you don’t have much time to prepare lunch. Just throw in some veggies and sausages into last night’s leftover rice.
Winters are my favourite time for making fried rice because of the sheer variety of colourful vegetables available in the market. The interesting thing is that almost every chef, amateur and professional, has their own fried rice recipe. I am sharing the one that I love the most.
Quick and Easy Fried Rice Recipe
- Rice, 2 cups (I prefer to use leftover rice from the previous night)
- Chicken sausage, 2 pcs (cut into 1 cm thick slices)
- Sweet corn kernels, 1/2 cup
- Broccoli, 5-6 florets
- Carrot, 1/4 cup (diced)
- Green peas, 1/2 cup
- Mushroom, 1/2 cup (sliced)
- Egg, 1 pc (lightly beaten)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil or butter, for frying
- Spring onions, for garnish (sliced)
- Cook the sweet corn kernel in a microwave for two minutes.
- Heat a little oil or butter in a pan. Add the beaten egg and make an omelette. Season as per your taste and set it aside.
- Heat some more oil or butter. Add the sausage and fry until light brown
- Add the broccoli, carrot and green peas and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they are slightly soft.
- Add the mushroom and sweet corn. Stir and cook for another minute.
- Add the rice and mix everything properly. Season according to your taste. Add a little butter for enhanced taste.
- Cut the omelette into small squares and mix with the fried rice.
- Serve hot with a garnish of spring onions.