Eggs Kejriwal – I came across this dish for the first time on the menu card of a Parsi restaurant. I was accompanied by a group of friends. Having been stationed in the national capital, the name caught our attention instantly. We wondered the dish had to do with a certain politician of the same name. So, we ordered a serving of Eggs Kejriwal with much curiosity.
I tried digging deeper to find out if the dish had any connection with its namesake politician. Obviously, there was no link. Instead, Eggs Kejriwal has been in existence since the 1960s, much before you-know-who came into limelight. The dish gets its name from Mr. Devi Prasad Kejriwal, a regular at Willington Sports Club in Bombay. The story is that he was extremely fond of eggs. However, due to health concerns, he was forbidden from eating them at home. So, whenever he visited the club, he ordered himself a hearty serving of eggs – sunny side up, topped with green chilies and cheese, accompanied with a buttered toast. Soon, this style caught up and fellow diners started ordering “whatever Kejriwal is having”. Thus, the dish got its signature name.
Over the years, Eggs Kejriwal has metamorphosed to become a favourite among egg-lovers. There are several variations of the recipe. I have tried my hands at the one with the mushrooms. And I am blown over by it every single time.
Here’s my favourite Eggs Kejriwal recipe:
- Bread, 1 slice
- Egg, 2 nos
- Mushroom, 1/2 cup
- Milk, 1/2 cup plus extra (to adjust consistency)
- Refined flour, 1 tbsp
- Cheese, 2 slices plus extra (grated) for garnish
- Butter, 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green chilies, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat a non-stick pan. Add the butter and let it melt. Add the flour and stir.
- Next, add the milk and stir vigorously to prevent the formation of lumps. Stir in the cheese and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the mushroom filling on low heat, until the sauce thickens. Add some more milk if it appears to be too thick.
- Next, toast a slice of bread until it is light brown. Cut it into four square of equal size and transfer to a baking dish.
- Fry the eggs together in sunny side up style.
- Now, top the bread with mushrooms coated in cheese sauce. Place the eggs on top of the mushrooms. Next garnish with small pieces of cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook inside a microwave oven for a minute or until the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with green chilies and serve immediately.